The sixth edition of our conference took place in Rome, 17–19 September 2015.
Comparison and Comparative Method
Call for Papers: The Coffee Break Conference began as an attempt to encourage the kind of critical and open-ended discussions that have unfortunately been confined to short coffee breaks at most academic conferences. Coffee Break Conferences give scholars the opportunity to critically discuss their work, especially new work, in an interdisciplinary setting. Discussions at these conferences have tended to focus on scholarly methodology and all types of comparisons: between areas of study, between the approaches of different disciplines, between the concepts and vocabulary of different traditions of scholarship. The next Coffee Break Conference, to be held in Rome on September 17-19 2015, will directly take up the theme of comparison. In a series of panels, including a conference-wide roundtable session, we will discuss the form that comparison takes in scholarly work, what its advantages and liabilities are, and the philosophical and political issues that comparison raises. Scholars are invited to submit papers to one of the proposed panels, listed below, or to propose a panel on the theme of comparison. Younger scholars are encouraged to participate.
The current plan of the conference, subject to modification, is as follows:
1) Linguistic Selves: Language and Identity in the Premodern World (contact person: Andrew Ollett, email@example.com)
2) The “Religion” Challenge: Comparative Religious Studies and the Trouble to Transfer Conceptional Terms from Europe to Asia (contact persons: Ann-Kathrin Wolff, firstname.lastname@example.org; Madlen Krüger, email@example.com)
3) Is Theology comparable? Comparison applied to “Theology” and “God” (contact person: Elisa Freschi, firstname.lastname@example.org)
4) Knowing the unknown: Extra-ordinary cognitions in Brahmanical philosophies (contact person: Marco Ferrante, email@example.com)
5) The trans-cultural reshaping of psychoanalysis, or the perks of comparative psychodynamics (contact person: Daniele Cuneo, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Further infos on the CBCs in general can be found here: https://asiaticacoffeebreak.wordpress.com/
Chief of the Organizing Committee: E. Freschi, A. Ollett
Please inform us if you need a child-care service during the conference.
What has been said about us by the participants
“It was an inspirational few days, I now have a whole notebook of thoughts and ideas for my work in the future.” (LS)
“Anche questa volta è stata una bella occasione per confrontarsi, imparare e conoscere gente in gamba. Bello!” (MF)